In late 2011 the County Archive Service asked if the Parish Council wanted to link its site to theirs so that people could gain access to the history of the Parish.
The Parish Council web site did not have a history section but the Council considered that there was such a wealth of local history that it would be interesting to residents and visitors if one was produced. Residents were asked if they could provide information and many sources have been identified.
This web page is just the start. Much more research needs to be done and this also needs to be fleshed out with contributions from local people. If you have something to contribute then please get in touch with the Parish Clerk who will be delighted to hear from you.
The Parish Council.
Most Parish Councils arose from the very controversial Local Government Act of 1894. This didn’t happen here. Instead the township of Wigginton (Wigginton, Comberford and Coton) became part of Tamworth Rural District. It was not until 1934 that the present Wigginton and Hopwas Parish was born.
This small village is 2 miles north of Tamworth, just off the A513. It has a delightful Anglican church dedicated to St. Mary and St. George (now sadly closed) and also a Millennium Green. The latter is now looked after by the Parish Council. Comberford is prone to flooding and there are many pictures of swans swimming down the road in the village.
The village is on a river and canal crossing point
on the A51 between Tamworth and Lichfield.
North of Hopwas the river, the Tame, has a
substantial bend in it and gives rise to the local name for the area; Tamhorn. The village is susceptible to substantial flooding. Recorded in the Doomsday Book the village name comes from the Anglo Saxon ‘hop’ – nook of land and ‘was’ –
watery. The canal is the Coventry Canal built in 1768. There is a pub either side of the canal; the Tame Otter (formerly the Chequers) and the Red Lion. Hopwas has a number of listed buildings including the Grade II listed church of St. Chad which was built in 1881. North of the village is the 385 acre Hopwas Hays Wood.
Sometimes called Wiggington the name comes from the Old English Wicga’s Farm. The village is 3 miles north of Tamworth and has a school, pub (The Old Crown) and a Grade II listed church (St.Leonards). There was a village hall but this has been sold and turned into a private house. Also in the village is a War Memorial in memory of Samuel Parkes who was a private in the 4th Light Dragoons. Private Parkes won a Victoria Cross in the Charge of the Light Brigade.